Saturday, August 28, 2004

A Great Start

The "Kev and Friends, and Introducing TD/D" gig was tonight, and I think all in all it was a total success. Things went really well for the limited amount of rehearsal time we had, and the place was packed pretty much all night (putting up flyers and sending emails to about 60 people obviously works). A few tunes had somewhat sloppy endings, but it was all good. G was there and took some pictures so we could have a visual on this site:



(Front row, L to R: Dingus, Kev, Halfling. Back row, L to R: Gordon, Mooney. Hidden: Alex)

There were plenty of cool moments: "Bolivia" exceeded everyone's expectations; "Infra-Rae" was energetic and ear-splittingly loud; "Blues March" got a good reception from the crowd when I told them it was our "tribute to marching band...and the fact that none of us has to be in it." Halfling started the third set by spontaneously breaking out with "My Funny Valentine" and I brought the rhythm section in right under him (that made for two ballads in one night *shudder*, as Dingus's feature on Clifford also turned out pretty well); the Reggae "Chicken" went over great, especially when Alex the guitarist busted out his wah-wah pedal. I think everyone was really happy with how things went, so hopefully there'll be another one coming up really soon.

The cat is also out of the bag (or would that be "the 'cats' are out of the bag?") as far as the TD/D name goes; the name was on the flyers, referring to the horn section, and I explained the basic concept to the audience tonight. My guess is that future gigs will all be done under that name, no matter whether or not the permanent rhythm section has been found. I do believe we have been officially launched.

The other guys may chime in with their thoughts as well (that's why this is a group blog, after all). I'm sure they're both as happy as I am right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home